Newsletter March 2021
Newsletter March 2021
We are excited to see the ACLU appoint Deborah Archer to the position of President. She is the first Black President in the ACLU’s 101 year history. Archer, 1st generation daughter of Jamaican immigrants, is a professor at New York University, graduate of Yale Law School, and winner of several awards for her civil rights work, legal work, and written pieces, among many other accomplishments. She has stated in several media interviews that the top priority for the ACLU will be on social justice and civil rights, including Reparations.
International News: Another major milestone that occurred in February was the appointment of Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the first female and first African chief of the Switzerland based World Trade Organization. Ms. Okonjo-Iweala, a Harvard graduate with a PhD. From MIT, is a person of many firsts, including serving as Nigeria’s first Finance Minister and Foreign Minister as well. In several media interviews, Okonjo-Iweala has stated that among her top priorities will be to assist the WTO with rules updates and bring it current. In a CNBC profile she is quoted as saying: “The WTO appears paralyzed at a time when its rule book would greatly benefit from an update to 21st century issues such as ecommerce and the digital economy, the green and circular economies”.
Upcoming GPBC Events/Member Committee Information:
- The National Black Caucus monthly meeting will be held on Sunday, March 21, 2021. Please stay tuned for the Zoom link, which will be sent via email and posted on Flock.
- The Black Agenda Committee, started by former Co-Chair and current Parliamentarian Robin Harris in February, 2021, will be held on the second Sunday of every month at 2 pm EST. Please stay tuned for updates and meeting announcements via email/and or Flock.
- The Reparations Committee is one of the two Committees that NBC currently has in place. Please contact NBC Co-Chair Trahern Crews if you would like to work with the NBCRC.
More Amazing Black Caucus Member Work:
GP National Black Caucus members have been doing some amazing work over years and months. February, 2021 was no exception! Here are a few examples of the work and media outreach that occurred during the month of February:
- Green Party of Florida Co-Chair, current NBC Parliamentarian and former NBC Co-Chair Robin Harris was on a public radio panel addressing areas that need to be met regarding communication issues for women, with an emphasis on the issues facing Black women. The broadcast was on February 18, 2021 and Harris can be found about 21 minutes in. To listen to this interview visit https://www.npr.org/podcasts/484356139/from-a-woman-s-point-of-view and look for the February 18, 2021 broadcast.
- NBC Executive Committee member and National Women’s Caucus Spokesperson Monica James had an interview with Human Rights Demand regarding missing the NWC Statement on missing Black Women and Girls on Feb. 5, 2021. The interview is currently being truncated to feature Mrs. James’ segment and will be featured in a future edition once complete.
- Green Party of Ohio Co-Chair Philena Farley contributed to an initiative to raise funds for Ranked Choice Voting in Ohio.
- NBC Co-Chair Trahern Crews was interviewed by Russian Television regarding alternative parties in the United States. His interview can be found at https://www.mngreens.org/green_party_co_chair_on_rt
NBC extends our heartfelt sympathy, wishes, and prayers to our members in Texas who have undergone the terrible climate crisis there. Members of the Executive Committee have reached out to NBC members there and although we are sad to report that there are ongoing challenges associated with the event, everyone is okay. Some are even contributing within their communities to help others! We will keep you in our hearts and minds as you navigate through this.
National Black Caucus (NBC) of the Green Party of the United States of America
Monthly Updates for National Black Caucus members. Media Requests, Newsletter Announcements or Submissions, requests to the NBC, membership inquiries, and NBC or meeting agenda requests* can be made to [email protected] or by leaving subject matter and contact information at 614-881-4431.
*Note all agenda items must be submitted by the 2nd Sunday of the month to be included in that months’ scheduled meeting.*
Executive Committee Members:
- Trahern Crews- Co- Chair
- Trahern Crews- NC Delegate
- Philena Farley- Treasurer
- Monica James- NC Delegate
- Robin Harris- Parliamentarian
- James Lane- NC Delegate
- Darryl!Moch- Co-Chair
- Dee Murphy- Secretary